Robbie White ~ Artist

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Vintage Feedsacks & Soldered Jewelry



Good Morning!  It is Tuesday, and I managed to work on a project that I've been thinking about for awhile.  I love vintage feedsacks, and my stash now consists of about 100 different old sacks, from 1930 to 1950, and each design is so unique.  I do sell them occasionally, especially the novelty ones that are more rare to find, as they bring a higher price.  I actually have one listed right now in my Ebay Store, pumpkinmoonstudio.  It is a wonderful old cowboy rodeo print.  Quite unusual, so decided to part with it, to help fund my other art and jewelry ideas like this one. 

I have taken vintage feedsack reproduction fabric for this particular bracelet.  Yes, reproduction for this, and my favorite fabric line for this is the Aunt Grace quilting fabrics.  Each charm link in this bracelet has a different piece of fabric.  The front and back of each soldered charm link is the same.  I cut two pieces of fabric and managed to line them up so that each side is the same in color, fabric, and design.  This project is just in the beginning stages.  I have cut the fabrics, sandwiched in the glass, and secured the copper tape.  The charm sizes are 3/4" square, and 1 x 3/4" as you can see.  I have soldered 1 charm and added my jump rings so as to give you an idea of how these will look.  You can click on the photograph above, and it will give you a close up look at the bracelet charms.

As the project progresses, I'll add sterling silver beads in between the charm links and finishing off with a beautiful silver clasp.  The Spring colors will be enough of a show, that I don't think that I will add beads that are colored.  If adding any beads, probably clear swarovski crystals to accent the sterling beads.  I'll have to play with it for awhile until I achieve the look I'm trying to go for.  I will post the end result later this week.  Right now, it is back to the real world and work!

No comments:

Post a Comment