Robbie White ~ Artist

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Winter Blues & Calico Too

In the 12 years that I have lived in the State of Tennessee, I have never seen a winter like this.  Occasionally in the past we would have a few days with snow in the forecast, but easily melted away within a day or so, with lots of frigid cold days and frozen water pipes.  This winter, we've had snow for what seems like an eternity.  Each day, the flurries continue to fall. 

Living in an old farmhouse with little insulation, makes for a very cold house.  You squeal as you  run and jump under the pile of quilts and blankets as your back hits that cold sheet, and you learn not to move an inch until your body heat begins to warm up your space under those covers.  Having to get up and out from under those warm quilts is difficult in the wee hours of the morning.  I love old patchwork quilts, and I can assure you that I have at least 3 on our bed.  The antique ones from the 19th Century, cotton filling and lots of turkey reds and indigo blue calico are my favorites.  An old cotton filled quilt that old, usually is so soft and warm, somewhat faded from years of good use, and each piece of antique calico is a treasure.  To be able to find a piece of antique indigo calico fabric is not easy, and you usually will pay a very high price.

Some quilting shops now carry Civil War reproduction calicos, and they are gorgeous and so reminiscent of the past.  I have several fat quarters of my favorites, but since I'm not an avid quilter, I have held onto them wondering just what I could make with these small pieces of fabric.  I've also managed to acquire a few cutter quilt pieces, too fragile and torn for much use, but I do rescue a few of the indigo pieces.  So, during my "winter blues" this past month, I had to come up with some ideas for my participation on the website, http://www.theprimitivegathering.com/ where each month I offer a sampling of my work.  My little fabric treasures were the inspiration, and as I cut and tucked tiny fabric treasures between glass, I began to solder and my blues began to subside as my excitement took over. 

3" long glass pieces now are the showcase for my "CALICO STICKS"...fun pendants to wear with jeans, each one with either antique or pieces of the Civil War fabric, and the backs though not shown, are old striped mattress ticking. 

Then the button box came out, and as I shuffled through those, I pulled out blue buttons, layered, stacked, and added magnets, and they turned out so cute and fun for my studio bulletin board, I decided to offer a set of those also.  They are more Cottage Chic in style.

And I didn't stop there.  Another pendant and a pin or brooch showcasing a piece of the calico from the 1800's began to take shape, and added to my presentation for The Primitive Gathering.

For a long time I have wanted to have an old piece of punched tin from an old pie safe door, framed and made into a bulletin board for my primitive kitchen, but kept that idea on the backburner, as I did not want contemporary magnets on it, but ones that fit more into the charm of a primitive cottage kitchen, so I continued soldering and this was the result.  I was so pleased with these, I listed a couple of sets of these also.  So I invite you to check out http://www.theprimitivegathering.com/ where you'll find me listed under the Artists Section, Pumpkin Moon Studio.  And don't forget to check out my ebay store, and etsy store also.  Here are the links:
Stay Warm!.......Robbie



 

No comments:

Post a Comment