Robbie White ~ Artist

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Antique Glass Earrings - Upcycled Chandelier Grapes

Doing some cleaning in my "junk" room, and while shuffling around boxes, I found two antique glass grape clusters.  Miniature in size measuring only 3.5 or 4 inches long.  One cluster was coming unraveled, so I finished unwrapping each small green glass grape, and when the last string came loose, out tumbled these antique green copper embedded glass drops.  I was instantly fascinated and curious.  What could I possibly do with these wonderful little things?   The copper wire already changed over time with beautiful patina, the small glass ends slightly irregular in shape with lots of bubbles within the glass, obviously handmade decades ago.


They are about 2 inches long, and so I began making loops with the wire, and turning them into antique glass drops for my upcycled and repurposed jewelry.  You can see in these photos, how wonderful they catch the light, and you can see the wonderful whimsical bubbles within the glass.


I don't remember when or where I even acquired these miniature grape clusters, but I'm very pleased with the results of the earrings that have been created using the little glass treasures.  The antiqued kidney earwires add to the vintage charm of them.  I could have embellished with more ornate bead caps or findings, but this old glass speaks for itself.  The beauty is the glass itself.  You can find this pair in my Etsy Store, http://www.pumpkinmoonstudio.etsy.com/  


My husband calls me a packrat, but sometimes little things tucked away for years, with the thought of "Maybe I can do something with those one day", actually comes true. 

No comments:

Post a Comment